Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Accountability Doesn't Just Apply to Politicians, Religious Freaks and Recovering Addicts


Do you ever find you get into a pattern? A way of going about your day-to-day routines or interacting with the signifigant people in your life, a patterned way of existing? What does this pattern look like for you? Does it line up with the way you've envisioned your life, describe your morals or values and reflect the way you describe your daily living to others.

When we think of accountability there is a certain "stereotype" that comes to mind. Accountability is for people who are religious, people who need to loose weight, quit drinking or smoking, people who need help to stay focused, people who are not driven or independent enough. But I'd like you to look at accountability it a completely different light then you may have before: accountability in our daily living.


Lately I've been thinking, how do I walk the walk and talk the talk? I profess to be a certain person, to hold certain qualities and characteristics about myself in high esteem, but when it's just me and my family, my co-workers, my signifigant other, my close friends; when the curtains are closed and there's no one to make a first impression on, do these things still ring true?


I think it's easy to become tainted in our views of ourselves. We know our internal motives, our thought processes and our own deepest darkest secrets, and it's easy to see ourselves in the light we choose because we can go through out mental "bank" of memories or examples to back up whatever we desire to portray. But what do others see? Now I know, a lot of people reading this are thinking "it shouldn't matter what others think as long as you remain true to yourself", but I'd like to counter that statement. As humans, we desire to see ourselves in the best light possible and to be hyper aware of our positive qualities and not so aware of our negative ones and avoid criticism or the not-so-attractive part of ourselves, sometimes we need an outside opinion as somewhat of a mirror for our actions and personality. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you that you should attached a "comments and criticisms" box to your back and carry it around where ever you go - it is the people that are closest to you whose opinions should matter in this area, and this is where I would like to propose a challange.


Ask the person who you are closest to in your life, whether it be your husband, mom, dad, best friend, boyfriend, or sister, ask them if the things that you profess to be your values and morals, are they evident in your daily walk of life? Ask them to be honest, and to keep you accountable to talking the talk and walking the walk. Maybe you're already right in line, or maybe you need a little nudge from a loved one to get you back on course.

No comments: